Illinois Poison Prevention Month (IPPM) – March 1-31
Each year, U.S. Poison Centers receive more than four million poisoning exposures calls. The Illinois Poison Center (IPC) handles over 80,000 calls annually via its toll-free, confidential hotline (1-800-222-1222). Of those calls, almost half involved children 5 years of age and under but the most serious cause involved an adult. Calls range from people exposed to a variety of substances that can be potentially harmful causing minimal to fatal reaction (medications, vitamins/supplements, plants, chemicals household/automotive products, insect/animal bites and stings, lead, carbon monoxide, etc.)
For children ages 18-36 months, poisoning is
the #1 cause
of injury-related hospitalization and death
In Illinois, there are more people hospitalized for poisonings than for injuries from firearms and motor vehicle collisions combined
9 out of 10 poisoning deaths are caused by drugs/medications
It's Easy To Make a Difference..simply share FREE poison prevention information with your family, friends, coworkers and community:
- First...Know the Basics: If you haven’t already done so, complete the IPC’s quick, free online Poison Prevention Education Course and learn more about poison prevention, poison centers and how to win!!!
- Then, Order Free IPPM Promotional Items: magnifier bookmark/rulers, keychain flashlights, children's activity sheets, wallet/key cards (limited supplies available, order before Feb. 15, 2013)
- Invite Kids/Students to play/view a variety of poison prevention computer games and videos
- Visit and Share the new "My Child Ate..." resource library
- Join the Celebration - IPC's 60th Anniversary!
- Download the FREE Poison Center Help App now available in the iTune store
- Save the Number to your phone (and encourage others to do so as well): 1-800-222-1222
- Place the Following Message at the end of every email you send during the month of March: "Join me in celebrating Illinois Poison Prevention Month (March 1-31) and get Free Poison Prevention Materials and Prizes!"
- Post the same message on your Facebook wall
- Tweet "I'm Celebrating Illinois Poison Prevention Month (March 1-31). No question or issue too big or small just call 1-800-222-1222!"