Illinois Poison Prevention Month (IPPM) – March 1-31
National Poison Prevention Week (NPPW) - March 19-25, 2017
Each year, U.S. Poison Centers receive more than four million poisoning exposures calls. The Illinois Poison Center (IPC) handles over 80,000 calls annually via its FREE, confidential helpline (1-800-222-1222). Of those calls, almost half involved children 5 years of age and under but the most serious cause involved an adult. Calls range from people exposed to a variety of substances that can be potentially harmful causing minimal to fatal reaction (medications, vitamins/supplements, plants, chemicals household/automotive products, insect/animal bites and stings, lead, carbon monoxide, etc.)
In Illinois, there are more people hospitalized for poisonings than for injuries from firearms and motor vehicle collisions combined
9 out of 10 poisoning deaths are caused by drugs/medications
Governor Rauner's Proclamation Mayor Emanuel's Proclamation
IT'S EASY TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE...Simply share poison prevention information with your family, friends, coworkers and community:
- First...Know the Basics: If you haven’t already done so, complete the IPC’s quick, free online Poison Prevention Education Course and learn more about poison prevention, poison centers.
- Then, order IPPM promotional materials: children's paint sheets, jar grippers, safety packets (w/stickers and magnets), posters and more.
- Check out the "Day in the Life of a Poison Center" blog to see how the IPC helps tens of thousands of Illinoisans each year.
- Invite Kids/Students to play/view a variety of poison prevention computer games and videos
- Visit and Share the "My Child Ate..." resource library
- Save the Number to your phone (and encourage others to do so as well): 1-800-222-1222
- Place the Following Message at the end of every email you send during the month of March: "Join me in celebrating Illinois Poison Prevention Month (March 1-31) and get a variety of FREE poison prevention materials!"
- Post the same message on your Facebook wall
- Tweet "I'm Celebrating IPPM (March 1-31). No question or issue too big or too small just call 1-800-222-1222!"